CAIN Web Service
Values in Education in Northern Ireland,
by Alan Smith and Alison Montgomery
Text: Alan Smith and Alison Montgomery ... Page Compiled: Fionnuala McKenna
Material is added to this site on a regular basis - information on this page may change
Teaching experience and practice
- Could you briefly outline your teaching background and experience?
- What are your present responsibilities in your school/post?
- What teaching methods do you use?
- Describe the nature of classroom management which
- What skills/abilities are promoted through this subject? How
would you seek to promote these?
- Do you think there any instances where (your subject area) may overlap with
any other subjects?
What would you identify as your main concerns with (your subject area) in the curriculum?
Values and subject area
- How do you feel this subject features as part of the whole curriculum?
- How is (your subject area) perceived by your head teacher/other teachers/parents
in your school?
- What would you identify as "value-laden" issues
within this subject area?
- How would you approach these issues in class?
- What opportunities are you afforded to teach "controversial issues?" How would you approach these
- What value-issues have you encountered within
the Cross-curricular themes?
- What would you identify as the major skills/qualities of a
good teacher in your subject area.
Values and Education
- What are your initial responses to the concept of values in
the Northern Ireland curriculum?
- How/where would you identify
values in the formal curriculum?
- Do you feel it is possible to teach and give nothing of yourself?
- To what extent do you feel you communicate your own personal
views in class?
- What values would you say are embodied or promoted in your
- How are policies formulated and implemented in your school?
Values and Teaching
- How would you define your role as a teacher?
- What expectations do you feel are upon you as a teacher in
- How would you describe the nature of relationships between
teachers in your school?
- What are your concerns about teaching in the 1990s?
Return to Publication Contents