CAIN Web Service
Key Issues - Education in Northern Ireland
[Reading] [Summary] [Chronology] [Background]
Page Compiled: Martin Melaugh and Fionnuala
Material is added to this site on a regular basis - information on this page may change
While this section is being completed the following publications, and related information, will be of use:
- A selected reading list
- Background information
- Main pages
- Gallagher, A. M. (1995) Majority Minority Review 1: Education in a Divided Society. Coleraine: University of Ulster. (Second edition).
- Gibson, F., Michael, G., Wilson, F. (1994). 'Discrimination and Education', in, Perspectives on Discrimination and Social Work in Northern Ireland. London: Central Council for Education and Training in Social Work (CCETSW).
- Harris, Jonathan., et.al. (2021). Educational Underachievement in Northern Ireland: Review of Research 2021, (April 2021), [PDF; 2810KB]. Belfast: Stranmillis University College: Centre for Research in Educational Underachievement. ...  - [Review]
- Macaulay, Tony. (2009). Churches and Christian Ethos in Integrated Schools, (27 January 2009), [PDF; 424KB]. Belfast: Macaulay Associates.
- Murray, Dominic., Smith, Alan., and Birthistle, Ursula. (1997). Education in Ireland. Limerick: Irish Peace Institute.
- Richardson, Norman L. (1997) 'Education for Mutual Understanding and Cultural Heritage'. Unpublished article.
(A short article which explains the background to this particular initiative and there is also information on 'The EMU Promoting School Project'.)
- Russell, James. Publications and Surveys
- Smith, A. and Montgomery, A. (1997) Values in Education in Northern Ireland. Belfast: Northern Ireland Council for Curriculum, Examination and Assessment (NICEA).
- Ministerial Advisory Group on Advancing Shared Education
- Connolly, Paul., Purvis, Dawn., and O'Grady, PJ. (2013). 'Advancing Shared Education', report of the Ministerial Advisory Group, (March 2013; released 22 April 2013), [PDF; 1176KB]. Belfast: Queen's University Belfast.
- Ministerial Advisory Group. (2013). 'Ministerial Advisory Group launches report on the advancement of shared education in Northern Ireland', News Release, (22 April 2013), [PDF; 29KB]. Belfast: Queen's University Belfast.
- Integrated Education - review of policy and research evidence
- Hansson, Ulf., O'Connor Bones, Una., and McCord, John. (2013). Integrated Education: A review of policy and research evidence 1999-2012, (January 2013), [PDF; 1423KB]. Belfast: Integrated Education Fund, and UNESCO Centre.
- Hansson, Ulf., O'Connor Bones, Una., and McCord, John. (2013). Foreward and Executive Summary, from, Integrated Education: A review of policy and research evidence 1999-2012, (January 2013), [PDF; 482KB]. Belfast: Integrated Education Fund, and UNESCO Centre.
- Research Into the Effects of the Selective System of Education in Northern Ireland
- Gallagher, Tony., and Smith, Alan. (2000). The Effects of the Selective System of Secondary System in Northern Ireland: Main Report, (September 2000), [PDF; 306KB]. Belfast: Department of Education for Northern Ireland (DENI). ... 
- Gallagher, Tony., and Smith, Alan. (2000). The Effects of the Selective System of Secondary System in Northern Ireland: Research Briefing, (RB 4/2000), (September 2000), [PDF; 48KB]. Belfast: Department of Education for Northern Ireland (DENI). ... 
- Ruane, Caitriona. (2007). 'Outlining a Vision for our Education system', Statement by Caitriona Ruane, then Education Minister, at Stormont, Belfast, (4 December 2007), [PDF; 66KB]. Belfast: Department of Education.
- Educational achievement and deprivation
- Donnelly, Kieran. (2021). Closing the Gap - Social Deprivation and links to Educational Attainment, (Northern Ireland Audit Office, NIAO Report), (5 May 2021), [PDF; 1302KB]. Belfast: NIAO. ...  - [Report]
- Leitch, Ruth., et.al. (2017). Investigating Links in Achievement and Deprivation (ILiAD), Final Summary Report, (Volume 3), (OFMdFM/QUB Research Project), (September 2017), [PDF; 2093KB]. Belfast: OFMdFM. ...  - [Report]
- Official statistics
- Details of source material.
There is also some information on
education in Northern Ireland in the mid-1990s, produced as part of the CALM project and made available on CAIN in 1997.
The Centre for the Study of Conflict (1997 to 2000) produced a number of reports on education in Northern Ireland, in particular the development of integrated education, and extracts from these reports are available at the CAIN site.